22/02/2011

Music Enduced Frisson : Why do we Enjoy Music


As I have said in an earlier post, recently I have been doing a bit of research in to music psychology and why we enjoy music. Now there are many reasons as to why we enjoy music, but I stumbled upon this extraordinary physiological reaction towards listening to music, that John Sloboda named the Frisson.

Not all people experience this but when you do you defiantly know it. Its when you get goose pimples, shivers or chills from listening to music.

If you watched the last lecture that I posted, by Dr Glenn Wilson, then he mentioned it briefly, but I found another man called Dr David Huron Who has done a lecture specifically on the Frisson.

You can access this lecture through iTunes U (that is Itunes University), I have tried to link it straight on here but it is seemingly impossible!!


Go on to your iTunes

Go to the iTunes Store (don't worry its all free!!)

Search the word "Frisson"

Scroll down to iTunes U and it should be the only entry.

Click 'Get'.

And the lecture should start downloading.

I also did a short presentation on the topic as well, I was limited to 10 minutes so it was bit of a whistle stop tour! But if you are at all interested check it out, I have basically just condensed all the other research in to 10 mins.

Presentation slides below and the script can be found here.


No comments:

Post a Comment